My Hair MD is an approved seller of The Original LaserCap. The Original LaserCap is the original technology of its kind and has perfected the delivery of prescription-strength laser therapy for hair regrowth.
The LaserCap is only available by prescription from an authorized seller. It’s FDA-cleared laser therapy technology, which is safe, natural and drug-free.
The LaserCap delivers a higher dose of light energy per treatment than all of the other popluar laser therapy devices for hair restoration. Many of the competing devices actually delivery an energy dose well below what experts consider to be optimal.
What is Low-Level-Laser Therapy (LLLT)?
LLLT is a non-surgical treatment that is either used as a stand-alone treatment for patients suffering from androgenetic alopecia (pattern baldness) or as a complementary treatment in conjunction with a hair transplant surgery (post-operative).
This technology stimulates hair growth through the use of infrared light. It is compressed light of a wavelength from the cold, red part of the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation. This is different from natural light in that it is one precise color. It is monochromatic (a single wavelength), columnated (concentrates its beam in a defined location or spot), and is coherent (it travels in a straight line). The level of light used for this treatment is also described as “soft” laser therapy because it does not use heat. This is essentially the opposite of many other laser treatments such as laser hair removal, which damages the hair follicle to “remove” it. LLLT can actually repair and stimulate the hair follicle structures.
How Does LLLT Work?
Also known as Low-Level-Light Therapy, Photobiomodulation Therapy, or simply Laser Hair Therapy. LLLT is used to re-energize inactive hair follicles. The red laser light (the particles called photons) is absorbed by specialized deep cells (or weakened cells) within the hair follicle, which stimulates their metabolism and provides energy to enhance cellular respiration and hair growth. As a result of this, follicles then become awakened from their inactive state and can produce healthier and thicker hair. Or, rather, instead of the follicle weakening with every cycle until it dies, it reinvigorates the cells so they can recover their health and functioning.
There are 3 phases of hair growth:
- Growth (anagen)
- Resting (telogen)
- Shedding (catagen)
LLLT helps to boost circulation in the scalp, which supports the metabolism and stimulates the growth phase. This helps to restore the hair follicles, which promotes hair growth by releasing energy, oxygen, and nutrients. This is why we recommend that each of our hair transplant surgery patients utilize LLLT post-operatively. It essentially speeds up the healing process and helps ensure the hair has a better chance of surviving and thriving.
Research suggests that LLLT works in a couple of different ways:
- Circulation – Increases blood and lymph circulation through vasodilatation. Several microscopic studies have shown that the laser increases circulation and oxygenation of the blood to the scalp and hair follicle/bulb. The laser also removes blockages and calcification around the hair bulb, as well as increasing cell replacement or regenerative activity. LLLT has been shown to reduce problems such as dandruff, itchiness, and excessively oily or dry scalp. LLLT can also help to improve fullness, body, shine and elasticity of hair.
- Energization – This is the process of transforming laser energy into cellular energy. LLLT increases the energy available to cells so that they take in nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. Many physicians and scientists have been using LLLT for decades to speed up wound healing and produce new tissue.
We generally recommend that patients use the LaserCap for 30-minutes every other day, or approximately 3-days per week.
Benefits of LLLT for Hair Loss:
- Stimulates hair follicles
- Increased hair elasticity and strength
- Increases the blood supply to the scalp by over 50%
- When using after a hair transplant surgery – can help newly transplanted follicles and hair to thrive and speeds up the healing process.
- Repairs damage caused by chemicals
- Delivers light energy directly without loss of light properties, which ensures appropriate dosage.
- Can stop the progression of hair loss in a majority of people.
A study released in 2013 shows that LLLT stimulated hair growth in both men and women. Among the stated mechanisms, the main mechanism is hypothesized to be stimulation of epidermal stem cells in the hair follicle bulge and shifting the follicles into anagen (growth) phase. This study also concludes that “LLLT for hair growth in both men and women appears to be both safe and effective”. It also states that the “optimum wavelength, coherence and dosimetric parameters remain to be determined.” This is why we only sell The Original LaserCap, which is FDA cleared and has been proven to emit a higher dose of light energy than competitive products.
A more recent review in 2017 is linked here, which references many other studies and reviews around LLLT and its effectiveness.